For the sake of improved load time and user experience, this article is divided into three parts. If you wish to read or print the complete article, it can be found here:
As we know, InfoPath forms have the ability to consume data from SharePoint’s User Profile Service Application through the SharePoint Web Services or to be more exact, through the UserProfileService.asmx web service specifically. The question is how to do that? It can be achieved by following a few simple steps as outlined below.
1. From InfoPath, click the “Data” tab in the top menu.
2. From the Data tab ribbon that opened, click “Data Connections”.
3. The “Data Connections” dialog window opens.
4. There should be one data connection named “Main Data Connection” displayed already.
5. Click the “Add” button to add a new connection.
6. The “Data Connection Wizard” appears.
7. Select the “Create a new connection to:” radio button.
8. Select the “Receive data” radio button. NOTE: These are usually set by default, but if they’re not selected on your form, select them.
9. Click the “Next” button.