Expedition – Fishing on Kentucky Lake

Written by Cornelius J. van Dyk on . Posted in Vacation

My dad came over from South Africa.  It was the first reunion we’ve had in nine years and we went FISHING!  We wanted to do some bass fishing, so we rented Cabin 21 at the Big Bear Resort on Kentucky Lake.  We drove down from Indianapolis on Monday the 11th and started our adventures in bass fishing with Captain Kirk‘s Fishing Guide Service at 6 AM on Tuesday morning.

I land a monster 30 inch, 17 lbs 8 ounce Small Mouth Buffalo Sucker! This little monster was a beast to bring in.  We didn’t have a net to scoop it up with since we were bass fishing and didn’t anticipate catching a huge Sucker using Bass bait! 

Anyway, I brought the monster to the side of the boat and twice Jerry tried to lift it into the boat… twice it struggled loose and went on a run again.  Then my dad tried getting it into the boat twice… and twice it struggled loose and again went on a run!  Finally, on the fifth attempt, my dad was able to pull it over the side of the boat.  What a battle!  We took the picture and I released the fish but it had fought itself to death and it floated up.  I had planned on taking my biggest Bass of the trip to the taxidermist, but I hadn’t counted on catching such a big Sucker too.  Since he died anyway, I figured I’d take him to the taxidermist.  We scooped him out of the water and put him in the holding well.

Later that day, I found Doug, from 5 Rivers Taxidermy.  Doug is an awesome guy and he was more than happy to help me out with the monster fish!


  • 120806_1538_Expedition1

  • 120806_1538_Expedition2

  • 120806_1538_Expedition4

  • 120806_1538_Expedition6

  • 120806_1538_Expedition7

  • 120806_1538_Expedition8

  • 120806_1538_Expedition9

  • 120806_1538_Expedition10

  • 120806_1538_Expedition11

  • 120806_1538_Expedition12

  • The sun rising over our bass adventure!
  • Heading out with Captain Jerry Schwartz on Day 1.
  • I land a monster 30 inch, 17 lbs 8 ounce Small Mouth Buffalo Sucker!
  • The sun rises over beautiful Kentucky Lake. Day two
  • Pa, the perpetual fisherman.
  • Pa is the first on the board on Day 3 with a small Striped Bass.
  • I land the first of the twins, a 26 inch, 6 lbs 8 ounce Striped Bass.
  • I land the second of the twins, a 26 inch, 6 lbs Striped Bass.
  • The Twins... two 26 inch Striped Bass weighing in at 6 lbs 4 ounces and 6 lbs respectively!
  • Pa ends the trip with his biggest fish, a 16 inch, 2 lbs 8 ounce Striped Bass.


We were fishing in the flooded rock quarry.  Captain Hank Lyon who took us out on Day 3 was giving us some advice as we tried to snag the source of the surface commotion in the quarry.  I started out reeling at a relative pace, but was not getting any bites.  I figured maybe the fish aren’t biting that quick and started slowing down my reeling.  Two casts later, this baby grabs my line.  I set the hook and boy did that just tick him off!  He went on a run so fast that he totally ripped my reel out of my hand!  I finally grabbed hold of the reel again and still the fish was running my line off the reel against the drag.  My dad thought that the drag was set to loose and he managed to get it tightened two notches.  Two notches was about all we had time for before the fish again went on a run that ripped, again, the reel out of my hands.  A large battle ensued just trying to keep the fish under control.  This fish was NOT going to come quietly!  Once I finally got the fish closer to the boat, Captain Hank realized that the fish might make a run for the boat motor and the sharp props would cut the line.  He raised the boat motor out of the water.  Just as well as the fish did end up running in that direction.  Finally, after quite a battle, we were able to get the fish out on the boat.  We placed it in the first live well and continued fishing.

After landing the first Striper, I cast out my line to the same spot as where I caught the fish and reeled in.  Nothing.  Then I cast it out to the other side of the boat and BAM!  The second Striper took the line.  This one didn’t put up quite as big a fight as the first, probably because I was more prepared for it!  It went into the second live well and we continued fishing.


After a short while, I was disappointed to discover that the bass in the live wells had died due to a circulation malfunction.  I decided to have them mounted too and we went back to the harbor to go put them on ice.  This photo was taken as we were offloading them.  After that we continued fishing some more.

Needless to say, this was one of the BEST trips ever!

Though I REALLY wanted my dad to catch a 10 lbs Large Mouth Bass, and though that didn’t happen, this time, I just KNOW that big daddy is out there with his name on it!  




Trackback from your site.

Cornelius J. van Dyk

Born and raised in South Africa during the 70's I got my start in computers when a game on my Sinclair ZX Spectrum crashed, revealing it's BASIC source code. The ZX had a whopping 48K of memory which was considered to be a lot in the Commodore Vic20 era, but more importantly, it had BASIC built into the soft touch keyboard. Teaching myself to program, I coded my first commercial program at age 15.

After graduating high school at 17, I joined the South African Air Force, graduating the Academy and becoming a Pilot with the rank of First Lieutenant by age 20. After serving my country for six years, I made my way back into computer software.

Continuing my education, I graduated Suma Cum Laude from the Computer Training Institute before joining First National Bank where my work won the Smithsonian Award for Technological Innovation in the field of Banking and Insurance. Soon I met Will Coleman from Amdahl SA, who introduced me to a little known programming language named Huron/ObjectStar. As fate would have it, this unknown language and Y2K brought me to the USA in 1998.

I got involved with SharePoint after playing around with the Beta for SharePoint Portal Server 2003. Leaving my career at Rexnord to become a consultant in 2004, I was first awarded the Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Award for SharePoint in 2005, becoming only the 9th MVP for WSS at the time. I fulfilled a life long dream by pledging allegiance to the Flag as a US citizen in 2006. I met the love of my life and became a private consultant in 2008. I was honored to receive my ninth MVP award for SharePoint Server in 2013.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.