We got up and grabbed a cab to Catelo San Angelo, just outside Vatican City. The castle was a beautiful museum to explore.
- This bridge to the castle had all these awesome angel statues lining it.
- At this point we headed over to the Vatican, St. Peter’s Square in particular. Roma Pass unfortunately do not apply here. We had to stand in line with everyone else.
- Of course, nobody is allowed into the Vatican unless their shoulders and knees are covered. We had a heads up on this from my friend Matt so we wore jeans and sleeved shirts for the day, even though it was hot as heck at 102 degrees again!
- The sign
- The Swiss Guard and a Nun.
- The outside of St. Peter’s Basilica… this was without a doubt THE highlight of our trip. There’s no way to describe just how mind blowingly beautiful it is… even the pictures do NOT do it justice… it is something everyone, regardless of religion, should see in their lifetime.
- Gold and marble everywhere… even the floors…
- Confession booth.
- The list of all the Popes buries in St. Peter’s Basilica.
- On our way around the wall, Jess and I found this little restaurant that had… gasp… AIR CONDITIONING!!! We had lunch there before heading to the chapel.
- The most gorgeous ceilings…
- When we finally made it to the Capela Sistena, we looked up, expecting the famous “finger of God” painting to fill most of the ceiling. Imagine our surprise when we saw it… just one among many paintings on the ceiling.
When we finally made it to the Capela Sistena, we looked up, expecting the famous “finger of God” painting to fill most of the ceiling. Imagine our surprise when we saw it… just one among many paintings on the ceiling.
Of course this photo doesn’t exist, even though it’s an iPhone non flash photo, since we weren’t allowed to take photos in the chapel. But then again, it’s possible I stopped in at a confession booth on the way out. 😉