If you’ve ever migrated site collections from one farm to another, or upgraded from a 2007 farm to a 2010 farm, you may encounter this error the following error:
“This view cannot be displayed because the number of lookup and workflow status columns it contains exceeds the threshold (8) enforced by the administrator.”
This is caused by Resource Throttling that was introduced in SharePoint 2010. The settings can easily be adjusted to cater to your specific environment and are set for each web application. To adjust the limits, follow these steps:
- Open Central Administration
- Click “Application Management” in the left navigation menu.
- Click “Manage Web Applications” on the Application Management page.
- A list of all your web applications in the target farm will be displayed. Select the target web application by clicking the white space between the Title and the URL.
- The Ribbon should now light up. Click on “General Settings”. Do NOT click the gears icon above General Settings as it will take you to the General Settings page instead of the Resource Throttling page.
- A dropdown menu will activate. On this menu, click “Resource Throttling”.
- On the Resource Throttling page, scroll down to the List View Lookup Threshold section. By default, this value is set to 8.
- Change the value to the desired number.
- Scroll down and click “OK”.
Now when you navigate back to the list view in question, provided the lookups is less than the number you just set, the view should render normally.
Trackback from your site.